Sunday, January 10, 2010

How Beautiful...

So I was nonchalantly puzzling on Friday. Snow was falling outside the window and the Christmas tree lights reflected on the puzzle. The house was warm, my kids were both home, and Kenton was relaxing with a book. If I'd had a fireplace the day would have been perfect.

My puzzling tradition is to turn on worship songs while I puzzle and so I decided to listen to the worship playlist I created online last year. It had been a while and I had forgotten what was there, but as each song came on I rememberd why I chose them - Rich Mullins, Chris Tomlin, Lincoln Brewster, DC Talk, Amy Grant...familiar and beloved artists whose songs never fail to turn my heart towards Home.

I mentioned I was nonchalantly puzzling. I was nonchalantly worshiping as well, until the song "How Beautiful" by Twila Paris began. Do you know how sometimes God just sneaks up on you and suddenly you are face to face with the wonder of Him? It is totally unexpected and totally overwhelming. It always reminds me of Isaiah's worship experience which culminated in his realization that he was a "man of unclean lips". I suddenly found myself sitting over the puzzle weeping.

Why? I think it is a simple as this:

1. The body of Christ was beautiful, period. There is nothing more beautiful.
2. It remains beautiful as expressed through us who believe - His Church.
3. Though we are flawed, as believers we are still allowed to represent Him, to be His body - and what a gracious privilege it is.
4. And finally, I'm married to a pastor - his feet bring good news and the love of a King. He serves the bread and wine faithfully, year after year. It is no easy task and often I have resented it. But at that moment I realized anew just how very beautiful the service of a pastor is - and I was broken. Do you love your pastor?

Church, do you realize how beautiful this wonderful life is we are called to live? If you are like me, you really don't. But I pray that today you might catch a tiny glimpse of it through my worship experience. I pray you have one of your own.




Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Matthew Loerke said...

you are too awesome! Thanks for the support. You have our address. Thank you so much!