Saturday, May 9, 2009

Philippians 1:3


The older I grow, the more I can appreciate who my parents are, were and will be. The passing of time opens my eyes to see them not just as mom and dad, but also as Bill and Joyce - real people who have been on a real journey! Now that my children are preparing to leave the nest, I am beginning to understand how my parents must have felt as Rick, Randy and Kelli were growing up and, one by one, taking flight.

The hymn Amazing Grace says "I once was blind but now I see" and I know that this refers to the wonderful miracle that occurs when Jesus saves us by His grace, and gives us the ability to see, through His eyes, what life is all about. But I would like to borrow the words this morning and put them into the context of a child beginning to "see" her parents in a new way and as a result, to truly be grateful for who they are, were, and will be. If one of the benefits of growing older is this insight, then I am thankful to be growing older. So, mom and dad...

I once was blind to the fact that all those days you went to work was such a repetitive, disciplined, necessary task - but now that I do it day in and day out, I appreciate your faithfulness and commitment to give us a good life and a comfortable home (and what fun to get a new toy every 2 week payday)! And I still remember that exciting day we got the new TV in the red brick house! I know we cost you a lot of money - I hope we were worth every cent.

I once was blind to the fact that all those days you spent cleaning the tub and shower and doing laundry and mowing the grass and washing the cars and cooking the meals and repairing the house and on and on and on was such a tiring, thankless, and never ending chore - but now that I do it day and day out, I appreciate your perseverance and hard working hands! I didn't see you doing all those tasks then, but now I know that you did and now I see. (I will never forget the moving of the bricks from one location to the other, now that was a chore that WE deserved to do!)

I once was blind to the fact that all those days you drove us here, there and everywhere was time consuming and invasive to your own plans. But now that I have spent years carpooling kids to the activities of their lives, I see how blessed I was to have parents who thought it necessary to fill our lives with piano lessons, sports, church, overnights with friends, shopping trips, vacations to Florida and Arkansas...and countless trips long forgotten. (But I do remember us yelling "fronts" if we wanted the front seat, and usually I ended up in the backseat. And dad, I forgive you for not letting us listen to the radio in the car on those long trips, and for making mom "hold it" til you were ready to exit.)

I once was blind to the fact that all those days you had to say "yes" or "no" to us, or give us advice knowing we didn't want it, or having to decide how to discipline us, or just keeping a watchful eye on us - protecting us from others and from ourselves...how difficult and scary that can be. I now see how challenging it was for you and I thank you for you consistency and ability to make sure with the discipline and spankings came the love. (I do remember a good slap on the face and hearing the boys get "whooped" by the belt, but now I see that it was for our good and I know it really did hurt you as much as it hurt us!)

I once was blind to the fact that you put your lives on hold until you saw us all on our way. You went without, you didn't do what you wanted when you wanted, you sacrificed money, time, fun, freedom...on a daily basis so that you could meet the needs of three baby birds ever chirping with their mouths open! I now see that this was a most unselfish existence and how often did you hear "thank you"?

I once was blind to the fact that you put up with, not just my sassy lip and misbehaving ways, but also two other persons' distinct 'issues'! Life was all about me back then, but now I can see that your lives were all about the three of us - you were constantly molding, shaping, influencing, loving, and simultaneously letting go of us for years. I see what a complicated task that is and I applaud your abilities to juggle three balls without dropping us (too often)- nobody's perfect!

I once was blind to the fact that the words "mom" and "dad" are words with so much depth and rhythm, meat and fluidity, strength and humility, unselfishness and joy. They are complicated words and as each year passes their definitions become even more lengthy, yet more clear. I see that my mom and dad (and Joyce and Bill) are full of depth and rhythm, meat and fluidity, strength and humility, unselfishness and joy - and each year your "meaning" gets longer yet more clear to me.

So, this Mother's Day, 2009 (and Father's Day early) - I just want to take this opportunity to make sure you know that I know, at least a little bit - what you went through for me. Your years of parenting are no longer invisible to me. I appreciate You both and honor you for a job well done. I now know it wasn't easy! I look forward to more years of learning what awesome people you both are! I love you and I thank you! xxx000xxx000 - Kelli Oglesby Hunt - Eat a booger, old man!

No comments: